One of the interesting business ideas is soap making at home . The concept is attractive to creative individuals who want to show their imagination and design skills. The technological process is simple and does not require special costs. Great for beginners with minimal capital.
Thanks to the variety of forms , recipes and ingredients included in the composition, making soap turns into an exciting and profitable activity. If you like the idea, you should start implementing it.
Business Advantages and Disadvantages
First, let’s evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the case. The positives include:
- Ability to start from scratch
- Organization of release at home
- Low cost of the product
- Minimum equipment
- Lack of special knowledge
- Ease of manufacture
- Waste-free production
- Growing demand for handmade products
- Freedom of a market niche
There are very few disadvantages :
- Independent search of the client base
- Raw materials and finished soap are not subject to long-term storage
What you need to make soap at home from scratch
For the production of soap at home, you need a room of 30 square meters. m ., from the equipment of an electric or gas stove for cooking, a refrigerator for solidifying the product and dishes. Before starting the process, you should prepare the components for the composition. The list of required raw materials includes:
- Soap making base . Sold by weight and is a white or transparent substance consisting of fatty acids and glycerin
- Vegetable oils. Designed to protect the skin from irritation and moisture loss. These include: jojoba oil, peach, olive, coconut, argan and others
- Essential composition . It is used as a flavoring agent and endowing soap with useful properties. These are: patchouli, sandalwood, ylang-ylang, citrus, lavender, tea tree, eucalyptus and so on.
- Additives . As a filler, scrubbing and gommage substances are used: ground coffee beans and apricot pits, raspberry and strawberry seeds, chopped dry herbs
- Dyes . Serve to give color and brightness to the product. Natural dyes are in high demand
- Perfumes . Allows you to give the soap a rich aroma: fruits, flowers, chocolate, sea breeze and more
For packaging the finished product, you also need material:
- Cellophane film
- plastic containers
- Ribbons and braid
- Gift bags
The very process of making soap involves two technologies : cold and hot. In the first case, the soap mass is mixed with other components, poured into molds, allowed to harden for about 2-4 days. The frozen piece is cut into pieces and left to ripen for a period of 1 month to a year, depending on the variety.
For greater profitability, a hot method is used, in which the soap mass is slowly heated with constant stirring. After a few hours, the rest of the ingredients are introduced into it and the mixture is poured into molds. The frozen mass is cut and left for two weeks to form the desired consistency.
Recipes for making soap can be found on the Internet and there you can also find specialized stores selling raw materials and materials for soap making.
We determine the assortment
To conquer a wide target audience, you should choose a diverse range of products:
Souvenir soap about 20 types
- 3-4 types for the New Year holidays: in the form of Christmas trees, cones, oranges, etc.
- 3-4 varieties for men: watch, banknote, wheel
- 5-6 kinds for women: flower, strawberry, cake
- 2-3 soaps for children: in the form of animal figurines, cars, cartoon characters
- 2-3 types for the wedding day: heart, angels
Natural soap for skin care about 6 positions
- soap with clays and sea salt for problematic and oily skin
- based on milk and vegetable oils for dry, sensitive, baby skin
- soap on honey, essential oils for normal skin type
- universal on a decoction of medicinal plants for the whole family
Cosmetic products about 6 items
- hair oil blend
- soapy body scrubs
- face oil balm
- lip oil
- bath balls
- hydrophilic tiles
Purchase of equipment and raw materials
In addition to the basic equipment, you will need: conventional non-mechanical scales, a grater, mixing blades, a cooking container, a measuring spoon, pipettes, a thermometer and molds. In this case, you can not use utensils made of wood and aluminumcapable of reacting with an alkaline solution.
Approximate costs for equipment and inventory will be 10 thousand rubles , for raw materials – 15 thousand rubles . The main costs will go to the purchase of a soap base. Ordering on the Internet through joint purchases with other masters or purchase at wholesale bases will allow you to save. But large volumes should be bought with caution, as raw materials may remain and deteriorate.
It is necessary to purchase high-quality safe raw materials that do not cause allergic reactions. Therefore , cheap materials should not be used . Accordingly, the choice of the manufacturer is approached with special responsibility. Information about the components can be studied on the Internet, as well as read reviews and comments of the masters on specialized forums.
When expanding a business, it is rational to mechanize manual labor with the help of:
- molding machine
- stamping machine
- cutting machine
Being engaged in the manufacture of handmade soap at home, it is enough to register self-employment or individual entrepreneurship with a simplified taxation system and ease of reporting. Registration of a legal entity is required only when opening a workshop or full-scale production.
From the documents you need to provide a passport to the Tax Inspectorate, write an application and pay a state fee of 800 rubles. for individual entrepreneurs and 4 thousand rubles. for LLC. Suitable OKVED-2 code: 32.99 on the production of other finished products not included in other groups.
To organize a business in a separate room, you need to obtain permits from the SES and the Fire Department, conclude lease and maintenance agreements with utilities.
Advertising and marketing
To promote products, use different channels and opportunities:
- participation in city fairs. In this case, you can get a direct response from buyers, take into account their needs and desires.
- own website, social networks and Internet platforms. The most convenient and profitable option is online sales, which allow you to find a wide range of buyers and work on order. You just need to learn how to take high-quality photographs of finished works and write attractive descriptions for them.
- word of mouth radio. The involvement of acquaintances will help out at the initial stage and will allow you to get the first orders
- conducting master classes. It will serve as a good publicity stunt. In addition, after the lesson, students will be able to purchase goods or raw materials with a small discount.
- implementation of a loyalty program. Discounts for regular customers and various holiday promotions will help to interest and retain customers
- distribution of business cards and flyers. You can sell products through gift shops, souvenirs and cosmetics. If you have the desire and opportunity, it’s a good idea to open a small point in the market or shopping center.
How much to invest at the start
A distinctive feature of the soap business is low investment at the start. To organize a business at home, 10-30 thousand rubles will be enough . Depending on the selected assortment and business format, capital investments can amount to 40-60 thousand rubles .
- The main amount will be needed for the purchase of raw materials 10-15 thousand rubles.
- For equipment and inventory 10 thousand rubles.
- Packing materials 5 thousand rubles.
- For advertising 5 thousand rubles.
How much can you earn
The markup on handmade products varies between 150-200%, and sometimes 300% of the cost. On average, the price of one bar of soap is 100-200 rubles. , but the cost may be more depending on the composition and uniqueness. Working alone, you can produce up to 100 kg of soap per month and earn 50-60 thousand rubles. With a net profit of 30-40 thousand rubles. investments will pay off in 2-3 months.
Expanding the business in the future, income will increase to 100-200 thousand rubles. and more.
Ways to increase profits:
- by reducing the cost of production by purchasing raw materials in bulk through joint purchases and advantageous offers
- production of complex exclusive products
- formation of gift sets
- conducting master classes
- sale of training courses and video lessons
- sales of related products
Possible business problems and risks
- Firstly, this is the influence of competition, which can be avoided by the original concept and a competent pricing policy.
- Secondly, there is a risk in the absence of distribution channels. To prevent it, all possible options for promoting products and attracting customers are used.
- Thirdly, losses from low-quality and spoiled raw materials. Buying material in specialized online stores will help to avoid mistakes.
A handmade soap making business is able to provide a stable income at home. It takes little effort and minimal investment to get started. A clear vision and a smart approach to planning will help you succeed.
The main thing is to decide: what range of products to produce , in what volumes, how to sell and at what price. Having set a goal, you can begin to implement the idea, the success of which will depend on you.